I recently finished my first biography of the year. If you saw my calendar below you saw that I'm trying to read one Christian biography every two months.
The one I just finished was "Mary Slessor of Calabar: Pioneer Missionary" by W.P. Livingstone.

It was an amazing book. My only regret is that after reading this book first I'm afraid any other biographies wouldn't live up to it. I don't know that it was the book itself that was so good but probably more the story itself. Mary Slessor was an amazing woman. Her faith, trust, bravery, and passion made her a one of a kind woman. A handful of men or woman couldn't accomplish all that Mary Slessor accomplished. She was called to Calabar, Africa to be a missionary to the wild natives. She faced much murder, drunkenness, and voodoo. She lived through extreme terrain and weather conditions. She became old and weak. But Mary Slessor never gave up on the people she loved. The natives there came to accept her teaching and respect her greatly. They referred to her as their white "Ma".
Mary Slessor is a new hero of mine. She is such an amazing, Christian example. Once someone praising her told her her reward in heaven would be starry crowns and her reply was "What would I do with starry crowns except to cast them at His feet". She had such a love for God and a desire to serve Him.
I recommend you read this book.
Until next time,
Juliana.
No comments:
Post a Comment